<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

ALL THAT RADIO WORK I DO GIVES ME THE RIGHT TO CRITICIZE 

Driving home from work Tuesday night I was flipping the channels around and landed on Radio K long enough to hear the disc jockey (1) proclaim that he had just learned that the "PJ" in PJ Harvey stands for Polly Jean, and (2) pronounce Dinah Washington's first name not, as any sentient creature would, like that of the person with whom a banjo-strumming someone was in the kitchen, but as if it rhymed with "Tina."

As college radio stations go, Radio K is a good one, but where do they get these people?

Ranks up there with the NPR newscaster I heard refer to "Arn" Carlson and Ann "Whiny-ah" during his wrap-up of the 1994 election. And with my all-time favorite: the KQRS broadcaster (Nancy Rosen, if I remember correctly) who, while reading Big Ten football scores on a Saturday afternoon, called the team from Indiana the "Hosiers."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment