<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 08, 2004

BUBBA THE BARD 

Mindles H. Dreck at Asymmetrical Information has been reading Clinton's book. Or rather, not reading it: "I'm only 25 pages in and I can't stop putting it down." According to Mindles, it's flabby, long-winded, and boring. (Clinton crossed with Kerry, you might say.) But Mindles excerpts a paragraph that provides the long-awaited skeleton key to Clinton's heretofore inexplicably self-destructive personality (emphasis mine):
I learned a lot from the stories my uncle, aunts, and grandparents told me: that no one is perfect but most people are good; that people can't be judged only by their worst or weakest moments; that harsh judgments can make hypocrites of us all; that a lot of life is just showing up and hanging on; that laughter is often the best, and sometimes the only response to pain. Perhaps most important, I learned that everyone has a story - of dreams and nightmares, hope and heartache, love and loss, courage and fear, sacrifice and selfishness All my life I've been interested in other people's stories. I've wanted to know them, understand them, feel them. When I grew up and got into politics, I always felt the main point of my work was to give people a chance to have better stories.
Say what you want about the man, but you have to admit that he gave us some fanfrickingtabulicious stories. Now that I know it was his chief objective all along, I feel compelled to congratulate him on a job well done.

P.S. Be sure to click through to Mindles' post. It ends with the transcript of a hilarious Stephen Fry/Hugh Laurie bit about compulsive name-dropping--rather surprisingly hilarious, considering that the bit reads that way even though I've never seen it. A milestone in the history of second-hand comedy. As if those dorky friends of yours who are constantly reciting full scenes from Monty Python were actually entertaining instead of, well, dorky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment