<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 30, 2004

THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING 

The blogosphere is about to get a 15-yard penalty for piling on Nick Coleman, but I can't resist passing on two nuggets from Nick's past work. (Big hat tip to my co-worker Chuck for finding these and passing them along to me.)

First, here's an excerpt from his farewell column as a TV critic for the Star Tribune way back in 1986, just before he jumped to the Pioneer Press (June 26, page 1C; available on Westlaw at 1986 WL 4790391):
Many times, TV personalities complained to me about something I'd written. It was unfair of me to scrutinize what they or their TV station was doing, they would complain. "How would you feel if we did stories like that about your newspaper?" they asked me. My answer was always the same: "I wish you would. Why don't you? I think it'd be a better newspaper if more people took the trouble to pay attention to what we did and point out our mistakes and failures. That's what criticism is all about."
Indeed, Nick. Indeed.

Nugget the second comes from a piece by Colin Covert in the January 1, 1988 edition of the Strib entitled "Minnesota Millstones," in which Covert rounded up local gaffes from the previous year (page 1E; available on Westlaw at 1988 WL 3212355):
ON THE SECOND DAY, SHE ROSE AGAIN

St. Paul Pioneer Press-Dispatch columnist Nick Coleman criticized a state Capitol rally for private-school aid, telling readers that his late parochial-school principal would never have approved of such demonstrations. Coleman's next column announced he'd learned that Sister Mary Genevieve was alive at age 78 and had, in fact, attended the school-aid rally.
I'll cut Nick a little slack on this one--after all, it was 17 years ago, undoubtedly long before he came to "know stuff." And it's not like he's had any issues with his school-related columns lately, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment