<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

NOW HERE'S SOME COMPASSIONATE CONSERVATISM 

Most of the Blogosphere has now seen (or at least heard about) the John Edwards primping video. Yes, many are revelling in the scoffing opportunity, but a few sensible folks are giving it a pass:
  • Ace of Spades: What keeps me from pouncing on this video is the smug and utterly unwarranted condescension of the Hollywood set, people who have been getting make-up nearly every day for their adult lives, now trying to pose as some sort of cutting-edge artistes by showing how foolish a non-SAG-member looks when he gets made-up. Yes, it's all a little effeminate; no man really wants to be seen getting made up (although, secretly, we all do want to be handsome; we just don't want to seem as if we care about it either way). But we're in the television age, and looks definitely count, and if John Edwards wants to play with his bangs to make sure they look just so, I can't really blame him.
  • Michelle Malkin: And before Bush supporters get carried away with the Edwards video, remember that this is a cheap Michael Moore-ish tactic. He used the same kind of clandestine footage of President Bush preparing for a televised speech--as well as similar outtakes of Vice President Dick Cheney, National Security Adviser Condoleeza Rice, and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D. Wolfowitz getting ready for TV interviews --to mock the Administration in his crockumentary, Fahrenheit 9/11.

  • Instapundit: I'm not quite sure why people see it as such a big deal.
Since I was posting about it, I finally made myself watch part of the video (I am so not a hack). My conclusions:
  1. Boy, is his hair ever shiny.
  2. I'm glad I will never have to prepare to appear on TV.
  3. That chick whose big butt keeps blocking the camera should be furious with Harry Shearer. I recommend a lawsuit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment