<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

SQUASHALICIOUS 

I am a binge eater -- at least in the sense that from time to time I become enamored of a particular food and eat it over and over again. My choices might be seen as a bit strange. When I was a teenager there was a year or so when I would come home from school and saute some mushrooms. When I was pregnant with my youngest I craved eggs. I ate Lucky Charms cereal every day for an unhealthy period of time.

I also go on food binges because I'm interested in mastering the cooking of a particular dish. Several years ago, I made a different risotto every week, hoping that I could get good enough at it that I could stop using recipes. I didn't.

Lately, I'm into squash soup (like all good soups, I don't use a set recipe). I've made soup out of buttercup, butternut and acorn squashes (buttercup is best, so far). I think the only thing left is pumpkin. Spaghetti squash is just too stringy to be good soup material.

My kids are binge eaters too, but they crave conventional goodies like pizza. This is how you can tell I'm really strange: I've never been a big pizza fan. As if you needed more proof...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment