<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 24, 2004

AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT 

I'm conservative in the old sense of the word: I'm suspicious of change. I don't like folks moving my cheese, especially around "the holidays." I suspect I found this adaptation of "Twas the night before Christmas" jarring because of my change-allergy. Had I braved the crowds to go downtown I probably would have disliked the spiky-haired prince in Dayton's Snow White display (and yes, I still call it Dayton's too). But when it comes to holiday music, I suddenly seem to be footloose and fancy free.

The Squirrel Nut Zippers' Christmas Caravan had a lot to do with it. Indian Giver doesn't have typical Christmas lyrics, but I love it:
Well, I’ve got a friend
Who lives across town
Every year when christmas rolls around
He gives me my christmas presents in a paper sack
Two hours later he wants it back
He’s an indian giver!
The four year old has been singing the polka inspired Must Be Santa from Brave Combo's It's Christmas, Man! And yes I do play the music of my childhood Christmas: Ella Fitzgerald's Wishes You a Swinging Christmas.Frank Sinatra's A Jolly Christmas gets the Warrior Monk as sentimental as he is capable of. This year we added Los Straitjackets to the mix.

The CD player is set to shuffle for the next 36 hours or so. Then silence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment