<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 25, 2005

AND WINNIE THE POOH DOESN'T WEAR PANTS -- WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? 

With all the recent gay cartoon hoopla, Spongebob SquarePants, Tinky Winky and Marge Simpson's sister Patty coming out of the closet, it may be instructive to discover that it was ever thus. Check out the classic 70's British kids show Rainbow. Sample dialogue from one episode:
The sketch opens with Zippy peeling a banana...

Zippy: "One skin, two skin, three skin, four.... "
George: "Zippy, where is Bungle?"
Zippy: "I think Geoffrey is trying to get him up"

We see a view of the door and hear Bungle moaning from behind it.

Bungle: "Geoffrey, I can't get it in"
Geoffrey: "You managed it last night"
Bungle: "I know, let's try it round the other way around. Ooooooh, I've got it in"

Bungle and Geoffrey enter the studio with Bungle carrying a hammer and peg kit

Bungle: "Would you stick this on the shelf, George"
George: "I can't reach, you'll have to stick it up yourself,

Geoffrey (to camera) " Hello everyone, today we are talking about playing"

Bungle: "Playing with each other, Geoffrey?"
Geoffrey: "Yes Bungle, do you have a special friend that you like to play with?"
George: "Yesterday we played with our balls.

Are we going to play with our friend's balls today?"

Bungle: "Yes, and we can play with our twangers as well."
Geoffrey (to camera): Have you seen Bungles twanger?
Zippy: "Oh I have, I showed him how to pluck with it."
Bungle: "It's my plucking instrument."

Geoffrey asks the audience if they can pluck like Bungle

Zippy: "I can, I'm the best plucker here."
George: "And I'm good at banging. My peg's hard isn't it Zippy?"
Zippy: "Well of course it is, Your peg wouldn't go in if it was soft."
Geoffrey: "Let's get back to Bungle's twanger."
Bungle (excited): "Oooooh Geoffrey, we could all paint our twangers couldn't we?"

....
(Thanks Lea!)

Click here for the rest of the episode's dialogue or to see a clip. Holy molely! How did the parents watching the show back then explain to their kids why they were cracking up? Oh yeah, parents usually didn't watch TV with their kids in the 70's ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment