<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 07, 2005

ONE STEP FORWARD AND AT LEAST THREE BACK 

Sandy of the M.A.W.B. Squad was interviewed for an article in Minnesota Women's Press about gal blogs. Sadly, the piece (which cleverly omitted mention of, or didn't notice, the righty bent of the Squad) is littered with femspeak crap such as:
[Blogging has] given me a chance to exercise my voice and take that back into the real world and give me more confidence.
Yeah. I'm just thrilled to "exercise my voice." Why do so many articles about women make them (us) look like imbeciles in need of serious therapy?

A graduate professor at the University of Minnesota comments on the fact that male-written blogs are mentioned more often in the media than female blogs:
I think that gets at another kind of inequity in terms of value. Valuing some of these blogs that are more political, more business-oriented, and privileging them over other kinds of blogs that may not be as edgy. A privileging of socially constructed ‘male issues’ over ‘women’s issues[.]'
I didn't know women's issues were ignored because they're so non-edgy. But if this media mention, full of passive voice and "privileging" jargon is the price of being noticed, I'd rather be ignored.

Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment