<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 02, 2006

SKEPTICAL ABOUT MEDIA SKEPTICISM 

As the Nihilist points out, the U.S. news media has widely reported how "well treated" journalist Jill Carroll was while a hostage. Such a pretty story -- but one that completely disregarded the fact that the "evidence" came from two sources of dubious reliability: a videotape Ms. Carroll recorded while still in captivity and a television interview with the Iraqi Islamic Party she gave after being released in which she indicated her freedom to reveal all by "choosing" to wear Islamic headscarf and Arabic robe:


Surprise surprise, now that she's safely in the U.S. she can finally set the record straight:
Durng my last night in captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video. They told me they would let me go if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. I agreed.

Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not. The people who kidnapped me and murdered Allan Enwiya are criminals, at best. They robbed Allan of his life and devastated his family. They put me, my family and my friends--and all those around the world, who have prayed so fervently for my release--through a horrific experience. I was, and remain, deeply angry with the people who did this.

I also gave a TV interview to the Iraqi Islamic Party shortly after my release. The party had promised me the interview would never be aired on television, and broke their word. At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely. Out of fear I said I wasn't threatened. In fact, I was threatened many times.

It is disheartening to see how easily the U.S. media accepted the terrorists-are-really-nice-guys story. Look at her now:



Which Jill would you believe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment