<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 19, 2006

SHOULD I BE CONCERNED? 

Even for a girl, I'm kind of wimpy. When I lived in Washington D.C., in my youth, I trapped the cockroaches under glasses and left them scattered around to await my mother's (hopefully bloodthirsty) return. In New York City (living on my own) I would loudly stamp my feet before I entered the kitchen to give the insects time to scatter. I should have insisted that "I promise to kill all the icky bugs for you" be part of my beloved's marriage vows.

So I don't understand, genetically, where the five year old came from. Aside from the fact that she has been nonchalantly squishing bugs since the moment her eyes became coordinated enough to focus on them, that she became fascinated with the PBS series about the French and Indian War, there's the recent matter of her chosen bedtime reading material. Or rather, her choice of our reading material, as she cannot yet read herself: Pompeii: Buried Alive. The book describes people beginning their day but "no one in the house knew something terrible was going to happen." She got it out of the library and has had us read it twice today. I think it's kind of creepy, but she is calmly interested. I never would have liked such a book at her age. Hell, I didn't make it past the tornado scene in the Wizard of Oz until after college. I admitted it already. I'm a wimp.

But the five year old just re-emerged from her bedroom complaining that she's afraid she can't fall asleep tonight. Got her! Who's the wimp now? Not being able to fall asleep is definitely not something I'm afraid of.

1 Comments:

Your daughter sounds like the woman I have always wanted to marry, a Robert Heinlein type of woman..lol. Ah, well...I am only 50 years older than her...I'll check back when I am 70...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment