<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

SHE SAYS: I GUESS TEAM AMERICA IS A BIT FUNNIER THAN THE THREE STOOGES 

I'm glad I saw Team America the other day but the Warrior Monk correctly reveals that he enjoyed more than I did. Barfing humor, like fart pride, is a concept that eludes me. Even puppet barfing. Nor does puppet sex do anything for me, laugh-wise. Hackneyed romantic scenes are only slightly less boring when performed by marionettes than real (allegedly) actors. In fact, as parodies of action-adventure movies go, I much prefer True Lies to Team America.

So, why didn't I hate it? The linguistics. In scenes set in Paris and South America the puppets exclaim in foreign languages -- but restricted to the few phrases that we ugly America are familiar with ("Sacre Bleu!"). But my favorite is the pretend Arabic spoken by the terrorists and the Team America heroes:
Hero: Bak. Derk-derk-Allah. Derka derka, Mohammed Jihad. Baka sherpa-sherpa. Abaka-la.
Terrorist: Ohhh! Derka derka derka!
[Allows hero into terrorist hideout]
Unlike most earworms, for some reason I like the sound of "Derka derka derka! [pause] Mohammed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment